Monday, January 23, 2012

Is a White Knight in Shinning Armor Waiting For You?


Recently, I started looking at the women at the well in a whole new way. The next time you read the story of the woman at well ask yourself this question did this woman find her knight in shinning armor. Let's find out, John 4: 7-26

7 A woman of Samaria came to draw water.  “Give Me a drink,” Jesus said to her, 8 for His disciples had gone into town to buy food.

 9 “How is it that You, a Jew, ask for a drink from me, a Samaritan woman?” she asked Him. For Jews do not associate with Samaritans.

 10 Jesus answered, “If you knew the gift of God, and who is saying to you, ‘Give Me a drink,’ you would ask Him, and He would give you living water.”

 11 “Sir,” said the woman, “You don’t even have a bucket, and the well is deep. So where do You get this ‘living water’? 12 You aren’t greater than our father Jacob, are You? He gave us the well and drank from it himself, as did his sons and livestock.”

 13 Jesus said, “Everyone who drinks from this water will get thirsty again. 14 But whoever drinks from the water that I will give him will never get thirsty again—ever! In fact, the water I will give him will become a well of water springing up within him for eternal life.”

 15 “Sir,” the woman said to Him, “give me this water so I won’t get thirsty and come here to draw water.”

   16 “Go call your husband,” He told her, “and come back here.”

 17 “I don’t have a husband,” she answered.

   “You have correctly said, ‘I don’t have a husband,’” Jesus said. 18 “For you’ve had five husbands, and the man you now have is not your husband. What you have said is true.”

 19 “Sir,” the woman replied, “I see that You are a prophet. 20 Our fathers worshiped on this mountain, yet you Jews say that the place to worship is in Jerusalem.”

 21 Jesus told her, “Believe Me, woman, an hour is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. 22 You Samaritans worship what you do not know. We worship what we do know, because salvation is from the Jews. 23 But an hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth. Yes, the Father wants such people to worship Him. 24 God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”

 25 The woman said to Him, “I know that Messiah is coming” (who is called Christ). “When He comes, He will explain everything to us.”

   26 “I am He,” Jesus told her, “the One speaking to you.”

So, let me ask again did the woman find her Knight? It is obvious that she had thought she had found her knight five times, only to find out he wasn't the one to fulfill all Her needs and move on to the next guy. In the movie Big Fish, there is a scene in the movie where it talks about love at  first sight. Here is the scene .
Reality is that life is more complicating than this scene and  reality often follows. I wonder if the woman at the well thought she had met the man of her dreams each time she married. Lets back the scene up for a moment and look at that moment she met Jesus. There she was sitting at the well getting water when a Jew of all people walks up to her.  Time stands still. He walks up to her and ask for water but she senses he wants more than water. He starts talking about water like it is something she has always wanted. When she asked for the water, this man asked her a question that reveals who she is and makes her feel vulnerable but not in a way to make her want to run away but in a way that makes her thankful that this man knows her unending desires. The man reveals her needs are being met in the wrong way and shows her, her true desire. Her true desire is to be loved unconditionally.  This man Jesus offers His unconditional love. After discovering that Jesus of Nazareth is the long a waited promised messiah she runs through the town and shouts about Jesus' all knowing love through out the town. So did she find her knight in shinning armor, yes she did and His name is Jesus. If we let Jesus, who is chasing after us with an unrelenting love be our unending source of unconditional love. We will find that this love helps us wait on the person God has for us. I waited 33 years to get married and I could not have waited without God's help. If I didn't have God's love pulling me through that time, I might have married someone other than Kendra. Really it was only went I found myself content in God's love was I able to put off my since of urgency and watch God put Kendra into my life.

1 comment: